Reading Time: 7 Minutes

**Click on individual manifesto points to get a more descriptive understanding.

Events in Green are those that have been completed as stated in the manifesto or have received the full support of the authorities and are now in the implementation stage with the HA Council having no control over it.
Events in Blue are those that have been initiated but have been slowed down due to genuine reasons, but are definitely in the pipeline.
Events in Red are those that have either not been initiated or have been cancelled due to external reasons.

Enhance Outreach and Accountability of Hostel Affairs Council

[gsreview title=”Conduct a minimum of one agenda specific open house in groups of hostels each semester” color=”green”]Open houses were conducted in the first semester with a very poor response from the students and so they were discontinued in the second semester.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Establish a Hostel Affairs blog to update current work as well as future plans” color=”green”]The blog is live with about 6 posts regarding issues regarding the campus. (Link: )[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Develop a HA council Android app and integrate it with CMS to enhance accessibility” color=”green”]
The IITB app made by STAB is being used for this purpose. CMS has been incorporated into this app, and a separate mobile friendly website has also been launched.[/gsreview]

Institute Facilities

[gsreview title=”Automate the Guest Accommodation Booking System (GABS) to view the available hostel guest rooms and book them directly” color=”blue”] The GABS proposal is already with ASC and implementation is dependent on them. Alternatively, the HA council is trying to automate the system on their own by getting a complete database of students’ hostel room numbers and roll numbers. This is the primary aim of the Room Conditioning forms which will be re-circulated until the entire institute is covered.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Propose to construct a Lounge with 24×7 Wi-Fi in the hostel area” color=”red”] The proposal was shot down by the authorities due to lack of space. Instead the HA council proposed to revamp all institute eateries, which has received in-principle approval from the authorities.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Follow up on the establishment of an additional ATM inside hostel area” color=”green”] There is a branch of SBI coming up near the Old Swimming Pool which will have an ATM.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Develop a web interface which can be used to easily Buy, Sell and Lend items” color=”red”] Tie-up was completed with Share@IITB but not much progress was achieved.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Propose to improve horticulture to enhance aesthetics of Hostel Area” color=”blue”] The idea was agreed upon in principle, but lack of manpower has been cited for now.A separate discussion of privatisation has been initiated which is currently in progress and all the hostels are getting privatised to reduce institute work load.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Install direction sign boards in the hostel area in preparation of the Inter IIT” color=”green”]Was completed.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Propose setting up an auto rickshaw stand near Hostel 1 and Hostel 12-13-14″ color=”red”]Issues with the TumTum unions mean that the stand will not come up.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Propose to set up an online payment gateway for gymkhana activities” color=”blue”] Talks are now in progress with several companies.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Ensure setting up a 24×7 printing/photocopy/scanner machines in all the hostels” color=”green”] Central approval has been given and the onus is now on the hostels to procure the equipment.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Set publicity guidelines and ensure installation of Electronic Notice Board in hostels” color=”blue”]Publicity guidelines were made public last semester. The Electronic Notice Boards are pending.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Follow up on integrating the cashless campus card with the institute ID card” color=”blue”]
Several meetings have happened and all the authorities are on board. Implementation is now pending.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=” Follow up on the establishment of a unisex hair salon inside the hostel area” color=”blue”]Will be included in the complex planned between H1 and H15[/gsreview]


[gsreview title=”Propose personalization of hostel rooms by making accessories available via rate contract” color=”green”]Furniture rate has been completed.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Introduce Room Conditioning Forms for better maintenance of rooms” color=”green”]Have been released. Will be recirculated till the entire Institute is on board. (Link:[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=” Propose to get a structural integrity test done for all the hostels” color=”green”]Completed. The first set reports are ready and major reports have already begun in some hostels.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=” Ensure the development of a Dynamic Room Portal to make the room allotment completely transparent” color=”green”]All new hostel allotments have been done through this and will be implemented for everyone by next year. (Link: [/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Propose to have Hot Water Showers in all the hostels” color=”blue”]Proposal has been put up. Pending with the authorities.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Follow up on the online PHO portal to ensure better transparency and more efficiency” color=”green”]

[gsreview title=”Improve the living conditions inside the hostels via the Make Hostel My Home initiative” color=”red”]
Work was started but the initiative was eventually abandoned due to it being low priority and being too resource intensive with not enough outcome.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Propose weekend room maintenance to ensure timely”>”>dresses.html”>”>dressal of problems” color=”blue”]Agreed in principle by the authorities.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=” Ensure use of vacuum cleaners during room cleaning” color=”blue”]Use of vacuum cleaners has been started in most hostels.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=” Ensure that Electric Backup is provided for all the solar water heaters” color=”green”]Completed in the first semester.[/gsreview]


[gsreview title=”Follow up on the structuring of the Hall Manager’s duty and publicize it to increase accountability” color=”blue”]The council has suggested numerous changes and they are now waiting for a response from the HCC.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=” Propose to pre-schedule the HMCs (Hostel Maintenance Committee) and increase their frequency and include hall managers and wardens to increase the efficiency of the system” color=”blue”]Completed.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=” Increase awareness amongst students regarding ongoing projects in the hostel” color=”blue”] Lots of initiatives were taken to achieve this. Regular mails were sent on Student Notices, a blog was created and all tender documents were maintained online.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=” Ensure the implementation of the proposed Application Tracking System” color=”blue”]The MB has decided to implement an ERP system which will take about 2-3 years to be implemented, thus rendering the ATS redundant.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=” Improve maintenance of common hostel facilities like washing machines, water coolers by
setting up central guidelines for AMCs” color=”blue”]In the process of creating the guidelines after receiving a positive response from the authorities.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=” Revamp Freshmen induction session to ensure better transition into campus life” color=”green”]Completed[/gsreview]


[gsreview title=”Propose auditing of hospital to enhance reliability and accountability” color=”blue”] Committee set up by the Director has proposed a number of changes including this.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Introduce a hospital guidebook containing all information and standard procedures” color=”green”]
Done and released at the start of this semester.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Follow up on Digitization of Medical records to enhance the privacy and accessibility.” color=”blue”]
Committee set up by the Director has proposed a number of changes including this.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Ensure outsourcing of the hospital dispensary” color=”green”]Completed.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=” Propose to set up a temporary medical camp near gymkhana grounds during Inter IIT” color=”green”]Facilities were set up during the Inter-IIT Meet.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Propose to improve the queuing for specialists to save time by digitization of token number” color=”blue”]
Committee set up by the Director has proposed a number of changes including this.[/gsreview]


[gsreview title=” Make schedule of the buses public and make it available on all the bus stops” color=”blue”]Not implemented due to the TumTum crisis in the last semester. Will be done by next sem when services will stabilise.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=” Propose to expand outsourced Tum Tum facility to improve the frequency of buses” color=”blue”]

[gsreview title=” Follow up on Tum Tum Tracker project which includes digital route displays in Tum Tum.” color=”blue”]The TumTum Tracker App has been released and is working. The digital route displays are expected to be implemented this semester.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=” Propose to run Hiranandani shuttle during weekends as per demand.” color=”red”]Not implemented due to the TumTum crisis in the last semester.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Implement a flexible Tum Tum schedule to take care of different events” color=”red”]Not implemented due to the TumTum crisis in the last semester.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Expansion of permanent bus stop shelters on all bus stops before the monsoon” color=”green”]Completed.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=” Distribute the supervisors to Hostels 12, 13, 14 and 15 enabling better efficiency of tum tums” color=”blue”]Approval of has been granted by the authorities. Implementation has been put on hold to let the situation cool down.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=” Ensure that the cycle pooling system is running as per the given proposal” color=”blue”]After several proposals being submitted to MB, the council decided to complete this on its own by making an app that uses NFC to scan ID cards. This will be used to issue cycles at all hostels. The onus will be on the hostels to have a cycle pool, however.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Organize cycle repair drives in hostels to promote cycling in the campus.” color=”blue”]Could not be done. Instead the repair costs at all bicycle shops in the Institute were standardised.[/gsreview]


[gsreview title=”Ensure availability of IITB Wireless inside hostel common rooms, hospital and institute eateries with possible expansion to hostel rooms” color=”green”]Wiring has been done. Completed in nearly all hostels.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=” Propose to get a new gymkhana server to enable all websites to be hosted in-house” color=”green”]Completed.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Propose to make WIFI access points available in hostels in case of emergency LAN failure” color=”red”] Not taken up.[/gsreview]


[gsreview title=”Improvise History Saving Mechanism as an official record of student activities” color=”blue”]The DoSA opposed this proposal on the principle rights of privacy of students. For implementation, pre-approval of students will be taken from the next semester. The portal has been prepared by SARC.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Propose to make HATS (Hostel Alumni Team Stewardship) fund utilization transparent” color=”green”]Completed. Boards have been put up in all Hostels.[/gsreview]

Mess and Eateries

[gsreview title=” Ensure setting up snack vending machines to enhance 24×7 availability of food” color=”blue”] Pending with the Eateries Committee since last semester.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Ensure procurement of automated cooking machines to make bulk cooking more efficient” color=”blue”]
Approval has been given for a trial run in H16 but the equipment has not been procured by the Hostel.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=” Setting up of a food court inside the campus with branded eateries starting with a pizza joint” color=”blue”] A pizza joint has been approved near the Sunrise Dhaba. A new food court is possible in the Complex to be built near H1 and H15.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Follow up on setting up an eatery in the Lecture Hall Complex” color=”blue”] Pending with the Eateries Committee since last semester.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Set up centralized guidelines to make the canteens more hygienic through vigilance” color=”green”]All canteens are now centrally tendered and guidelines have been circulated.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Follow up on the exhaust ducts in the messes” color=”green”]Implemented on a trial basis in H15.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=” Follow up on centralized Mahanagar Gas Limited pipeline to bring down mess costs” color=”green”]Completed[/gsreview]


[gsreview title=”Make the duties and limitations of the security and vigilance public” color=”blue”]Responsibility of the CSO to make the guidelines, which has not been prepared. The Council is waiting for the next SAC meeting to bring this up.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Ensure extension of the automated gate entry passes to students” color=”red”]Will be completed after the Main Gate is completed, which will be done by next sem.[/gsreview]

[gsreview title=”Propose enhanced fencing on hostels adjacent to the labour camps” color=”green”]Completed.[/gsreview]